The importance of good communication skills in the workplace cannot be overstated. Effective, enlightened communication is pivotal to employee engagement and business success. This conviction, based on years of data and hand-on experience, is at the heart of ROI’s success and that of our clients.
Communication pervades everything we do as members of any kind of organization. The word “communication” derives from the Latin “to share”. It is about relationships, information and education. It’s about connection and building bridges with people. The goal of enlightened communication is to create more trusting and authentic relationships with people, which, in turn, builds stronger organizations. Good communication skills are also one of the most tangible ways to embody the 7 Elements of an Enlightened Workplace.
- When the safety of a team is in jeopardy, communication is a critical tool to saving lives and alerting people to the danger. When it comes to care, respect and value, actions will always speak louder than words, but words are a great starting point.
- Telling a team member that you care about them and backing that up with action can have a powerful effect on the relationship.
- Respect is demonstrated in interpersonal interactions by acknowledging the other person and their contributions and being quiet to allow them to speak. Non-verbally, respect is shown by upright, attentive body-language that says, “I’m listening, and you matter.”
- Communicating that an employee is valued starts with noticing and then calling out the unique contributions they bring and the importance of those contributions to the subject at hand.
- Joy translates to an open, transparent communication climate via mutual trust. Such a climate frees us to be our authentic selves and to speak our individual truth. Joy allows for a shared sense of confidence, well-being and positivity which are the result of a culture based on openness and trust.
- Communicating progress on goals is how teams and companies show results, earn recognition and reap financial rewards.
- Meaning and communication work together in multiple ways. Beyond facts and figures, meaning must be emphasized to communicate the deeper story behind the facts so that audiences can understand why they matter. Leaders can utilize communication to share the meaning and purpose behind business strategies that have an impact on customers, employees, communities and the world.
Learn about The 7 Elements of an Enlightened Workplace
- Assess how you’re doing today
- Enroll in The Enlightened Workplace Project online course
- Download The 7 Elements of an Enlightened Workplace Action Checklist
Kristin Brownstone is Vice President, Strategist at ROI, co-creator of The Enlightened Workplace Project, and a professional public speaking and personal transformation coach.